- Posted By Amit Pall
There will be no further delays to the introduction of a code that will make it easier for landowners and developers to build terraces and other medium-density homes, NSW Planning Minister Rob Stokes says.
Despite the medium-density housing code coming into force two years ago, the introduction of the policy was hindered when 45 councils sought deferrals until July, and these were granted by the government.
The policy is intended to accelerate the approval process for so-called missing middle homes such as terraces and manor houses, in which a single building contains three to four dwellings.
Mr Stokes told a budget estimates hearing it had been frustrating that some councils had sought deferrals to prepare planning proposals, but had still not completed them.
“Ultimately something can’t be deferred indefinitely. To those councils I say, we have given you ample opportunity,” he said on Friday. “Those deferrals will conclude on the first of July.”